Why is There a Kid’s Program?
Welcome to Cameron’s Uechi-Ryu Karate Martial Arts for Kids program. The martial arts are renowned for providing lifetime personal growth skills. We are excited to have the opportunity to share these benefits with your child. To maximize our effectiveness, we think it’s very important for you to understand our goals and how best to work with us to provide a great martial arts experience for your child:
- The emphasis of our program is on establishing courtesy, concentration, and discipline in a child. A tradition of respect is built into martial arts instruction.
- The program builds character by providing a child with the confidence to control situations and an ability to stand up to peer pressure and other intimidating situations.
- The movements in martial arts develop coordination and increase strength and flexibility, which will carry over to all sports.
- The awarding of higher levels of martial arts belts instills a sense of achievement and accomplishment. This is very important to us and the real core of the program. Because the length of time for achieving belts can be from three to six months, we award stripes on the belt every four weeks as the child progresses between levels. Training for these tests and passing them enhances the child’s ability to concentrate, plan for and triumph over challenges. You’ll find this to be an excellent reinforcement of study habits and attitudes for school.
- We are very careful to teach children that martial arts is not to be used outside the martial arts class in any manner other than in true self defense. The result is a self-confident child who does not need to bully or show-off to other children.
- The martial arts are good, clean fun for kids — it’s a rare opportunity to provide your child with an exciting skill to learn in an atmosphere of respect and courtesy. Many parents of our most successful students said that they simply considered martial arts to be a part of their child’s educational process. They used martial arts to fill the gaps inherent in our public school system for physical education, personal development, and self defense.
If you have any questions, feel free to talk to any instructor. We believe strongly in the value of our program for all ages — but especially for the young, who can gain much benefit from martial arts for the rest of their lives.