Guidelines for Dojo Behavior
The following guidelines have been translated from Japanese and are found in all Uechi-Ryu Dojos in Okinawa. Each student should read them carefully and abide by them.
- The Martial Arts begin and end with respect.
- Bow upon entering and leaving the Dojo indicating your respect for that place.
- Diligently follow the instructions given by the instructor and your seniors.
- Thoughtless and careless actions such as whistling, singing, and social conversation have no place in the Dojo.
- Smoking is prohibited in the Dojo.
- Refrain from engaging a student in idle talk and make the best use of the time given for your class.
- Practive in a business-like manner; if you need to rest, do so in an area where you will not interfere with another’s workout.
- Person-to-person relationships in the Dojo must be reinforced by courtesy and affection.
- Always keep your body and your Gi clean.
- You are responsible for keeping your conduct under control inside and outside the Dojo.